Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced a further easing of COVID-19 restrictions this weekend. Starting from Saturday, June 27th up to 10,000 sports fans will return to Queensland stadiums.
But not without some precautions.
Measures to protect the health of spectators will include extra sanitisation, socially-distanced seating, exit planning and hygiene facilities.
“This is another small, sensible step towards getting life back to normal,” the Premier said.
“We can make these steps because of the outstanding way Queenslanders have united to confront COVID-19 but we are still in a pandemic so we have to keep being careful.”
Health Minister Steven Miles said the increase in crowd numbers was in line with the professional codes’ Covid-safe plans.
“The codes have shown they are taking Covid-safe measures seriously,” the Deputy Premier said.
The NRL provided the Queensland Government with a biosecurity plan. The 40-page plan was compiled by one of Australia’s leading biosecurity experts.
Guidelines not just for fans. Players too
NRL Chairman Peter V’Landys said players would adhere to strict protocols.
“We are implementing the toughest of health and safety protocols for our players and staff to protect their health, and that of the community,” Mr V’landys said.
“I have stressed the importance of this with our players and staff and they understand that for the future of our game, they will be expected to adhere to higher standards than the general public.”
“We will not let the Premier, or Queensland, down.”
Last week small numbers attended Suncorp Stadium and the Gabba to test Covid-safe measures. The social distancing and hygiene measures at the Titans and Lions matches were called a success. With fans respecting the measures, more restrictions can now be lifted.
Want more sport news? Work begins on Northside’s National Cricket Campus. Lions Insider on Club’s Striking Rise